Web application penetration testing includes four main steps which are information gathering, research and exploitation, remediation with ongoing support and reporting, and recommendations. These are primarily performed to secure the software code development throughout the lifecycle. The main purpose of performing these penetration tests are specific requirements, coding mistakes, and lack of knowledge in cyber attack vectors.
What is Web application penetration testing?
It involves a methodological arrangement of steps to gather information about the target system, finding vulnerabilities and the faults in them, and researching the exploits that succeed those vulnerabilities to compromise the web application. Online web application penetration testing is a community that focuses solely on discovering web application penetration testing reports.
how to do penetration testing for web applications. Our pen testing methodology delivers tremendous ROI
1. PlanningThe first step of planning generally involves:
i) Define the goals and the scopes of a test. Also includes the systems to be addressed
ii) Gather intelligence such as mail servers, domain names to understand better how a target works and the potential vulnerabilities.
2. ScanningThe next step is to know how the target application will respond to multiple data theft attempts. That typically uses:
Static analysis: inspects the application’s code to understand the way it behaves while running. This tool can scan the code entirely in a single go
Dynamic analysis: Inspects the application’s code in an ongoing state. It is a practical way of scanning as it can provide a real-time view of an applicant’s performance.
3. Gaining accessIt uses cyber security penetration testing attacks such as SQL injection, backdoors, and cross-site scripting to undercover the target’s vulnerability. Testers try to exploit these vulnerabilities by stealing data, escalating privileges, etc. to understand the limit of damage it can hold.
4. Maintaining the accessThe goal of this stage is to check if the vulnerability can be used to achieve the presence in the exploited system. The main idea is to imitate the advanced persistent threats that often will remain in a system for a long time in order to steal sensitive data from an organization.
5. AnalysisThe result of pen-testing consists :
Specific exploited vulnerability
Accessed sensitive data
It is analyzed by security personnel to figure out the organization’s WAF setting and application security solutions to minimize vulnerabilities and protect it from future attacks.
Get a quick quote
complete the form for a prompt response from our team
Online Web application penetration testing phases
Data Space Security’s methodology is a fastidious process that is used in every platform.
The first phase of our web application penetration test primarily focuses on collecting as much information as possible about the target application, this is called reconnaissance or in other words information gathering. There are few different types of attack vectors available:
1) Passive reconnaissance generally uses public tools to gather the information that is available on the internet. This is done by search engines and with the help of other methods to find the information.
2) Active reconnaissance involves pentesters that are using more advanced tactics, such as cross-site scripting, sending HTTP requests, scanners, or crafting requests with retrieving output.
Techniques that include system service identification, port scanning, firewall, and intrusion detection, the remote operating system will be used for the pen-testing. For discovery, this phase will use banner grabbing along with passive fingerprinting.
Vulnerability scanning lets a user find out the weakness of the application and along with that one can determine the methods to improve and fix the overall security of an application. It mainly finds out if the security patches are installed, and the scanning is performed using many automated tools along with manual testing methods and custom scripts.
Web penetration testing is a preventive control method that will let you analyze the status and existing security layer. Goals of doing a pen-testing:
Identifying the unknown vulnerability
Checking the effectiveness of security policy
Determine the most vulnerable way to attack
Testing the components, firewall, DNS, and routers
Look for loopholes that can lead to data theft
It is to be done without the need to access the source code. Here are the top 10 web application penetration testing tools, to acquaint ourselves with intent, definition, and security testing.
Play loads injection
Blind SQL injection
Local and remote file
Next level pen tester
Gather and rescue credentials
Backup file check
Robust detection engine
HTTP and meta redirectors
SOCK and proxy support
Output to HTML